Friday, May 22, 2009

Honey Barbecue Lay's Potato Chips

My bag didn't look like this - it has an actual photo of the chips, a sliced potato in the background, and a bowl of honey and barbecue sauce with a basting brush with sauce on it in the foreground. Anyway.

I had high hopes for these chips - you see "Honey Barbecue" and you think tangy, sweet, a little spicy, right? When it came down to it, though, there wasn't much going on. Not only was the barbecue sauce taste fairly ordinary, it was way too heavy on a smoky, mesquite kind of flavor which I just wasn't a huge fan of. Mesquite is fine on its own, I guess, but this isn't a bag of mesquite chips. Something with "honey solids" in it, as listed in the ingredients, should have a honey flavor somewhere; I couldn't find it. The mesquite wore off a bit as I got farther down in the bag, and there was a bit more of a tangy flavor to the chips near the end, but it shouldn't take that long.

More to the point, I guess I just expect more out of Lay's. We're talking the biggest chip brand in the world - if they do a Honey Barbecue chip, shouldn't it really knock that taste out of the park? Instead it was barely even close. For the most part these just tasted like any barbecue potato chips I could have gotten in any bag, with any brand name on the front, in any store in America. They were a genuine disappointment.

6 comments:

  1. I only tasted a small snack size bag and I was kind of hungry, just before lunch, but I thought they were kind of tasty. The only trouble is now I can't seem to find them again. Wawa, where I originally purchased it, says it was a promotional thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely disagree. I thought these chips were some of the best barbeque chips. Both my husband and I loved the flavor and sweetness they offered.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too loved them, but sadly cannot find them anywhere... they were only available for a short time. would love to buy them again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these potato chips. I too can't find them in the grocery stores. If you are looking for a tangy,sweet and spict chip, you may want to try the new South Carolina Barbecue potato chip. These are good as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have to say I love them - they seem to be very popular in my area as they are always out of stock in the local stores. I had to strike a deal with the owner of one of the local stores - he puts a few away for me and I "shop" exclusively in his store.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought these were great because they were less over-the-top barbecuey than most BBQ flavored chips. I hesitate to say they were "more subtle", but at least i didn't get overwhelmed by the flavor like the regular barbecue Lays. I tried to get some more the other day at my local Atlanta Publix and couldn't find any. Were they just a limited time offer?

    ReplyDelete