Monday, March 23, 2009

Flamin' Hot Funyuns



During my junior year of college I was, for a brief period, semi-addicted to Flamin' Hot Cheetos (until I made the mistake of eating two bags one after the other... I won't say any more than that). In high school, meanwhile, Funyuns were one of my favorite snack foods (although I really preferred Wise Onion Rings, but you can't get those out here). So naturally I had to try Flamin' Hot Funyuns.

They're pretty much exactly what you'd expect, but in a way that's actually better than I might have expected. Let me try and explain that. I was expecting the flamin' powder to taste more or less identical to what's on the Cheetos, and it does. I was also expecting some of the Funyun taste to come through, and it does. But what's nice about Flamin' Hot Funyuns as compared to the regular type is that normally, Funyuns are pretty starchy. This isn't a surprise, of course - all a Funyun is is a ring of puffed, fried starch with some onion powder on it. The nice thing about the Flamin' Hot variety is that while you still get enough of the onion flavor coming through, the fiery powder largely overwhelms the starch, giving the whole thing a much cleaner overall taste. (There's a slight starchy aftertaste, but we can't really complain about that when we're eating Funyuns, can we?)

I can't imagine I'll be developing any kind of addiction to these, but if you like your snacks spicy you can certainly do a lot worse in the taste department.

No comments:

Post a Comment