Thursday, March 26, 2009

Tranquilo Vitamin Water



I feel a little weird including Vitamin Water in this blog. It's certainly not what you'd consider "junk food." On the other hand, your typical 20-ounce bottle has 125 calories - it's no soda, but it's certainly packed with calories when compared to regular water. And ultimately it's a flavored beverage with sugar in it which contains no juice (let alone 100%). Why not include it?

I like most flavors of Vitamin Water I've tried. In fact, I haven't tried one I haven't liked - possibly in part because I've avoided green tea, expecting not to like it. At least, not until now. Tranquilo's stated flavor is "tamarind-pineapple," and while those are two things that I like well enough in isolation, their combination in this particular product just isn't doing it for me.

I'm not sure how to describe the taste. Pineapple constitutes the bulk of the aroma I got when I stuck my nose in the bottle, although it's a sort of tangy pineapple, which is probably the tamarind's influence. So far, so good. The actual taste was a bit different, though. As with all Vitamin Waters, there's a wateriness to the flavor - that's certainly expected and usually isn't a big deal, but here it bothered me a bit. The pineapple flavor itself was there, but there was kind of a strange secondary taste which I wasn't sure I could chalk up to tamarind (which I associate with a kind of sour flavor). I think I found the pineapple flavor to taste more like a piña colada-type flavor, with hints of coconut amid the pineapple. The tamarind is there, but it's not very distinguishable - pineapples themselves already have a tanginess, so the tamarind doesn't really stand out. If anything, it could be what's causing the piña colada taste, but that would only be a negative.

I wouldn't say it's undrinkable (though I might just be talking myself into not wasting the rest of this bottle), but Tranquilo takes its ignominious place as the first flavor of Vitamin Water for which I can say pretty definitively that I won't be drinking it again. Of course, I don't like piña coladas. Your mileage may vary.

2 comments:

  1. if you like pina colodas you will like it, I think it taste better than a normal pina coloda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your absolutely right it doesn't taste that bad. the problem is when u see pineapple right away your mind uses flavor profiling. this is when the item being consumed should be know right off the bat because you know how it should taste. tamarind on the other hand is from a legume or bean family it grows on a tree in a pod. the flavor is acidic and sour. so when you drink the Tranquilo your getting a even balance of sweet, and sour. and the flavor that stand out the most would be the tamarind with a mild pineapple taste at the end. also the aroma is more intense in the pineapple then the tamarind. others than that its quite satisfying to drink on a scorching day.

    ReplyDelete